Practical food tips for parents from a RD and mom of three

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Find a farm

I just signed up for a CSA – that's Community Supported Agriculture or a “share” of a local farm. For a membership fee and set price, I will pick up local organic produce that the farm delivers to a drop site in my city each week. My locally grown fruits and veggies will be super-fresh and full of nutrients! Plus, buying what is in season will force me to think outside of my usual produce purchasing habits to try new things.

I could start a garden, and I don't discourage you from doing this if you are so inclined. My thumb is far from green! By joining a CSA I get a variety of fresh produce from a local farm, without having to do the gardening myself!

Another option is to find a farmer's market, where farmers sell their products. Check your local paper for a farmer's market near you, and add it to your calendar each week.

Many farms offer the chance to pick-your-own fruits and veggies. This is a fun activity for the whole family, and what better way to get your kids interested in fresh food than to show them where it grew and have them harvest it?

I start picking up my share in June, so stay tuned to see how I fix these goodies for the kids...

Today's tip: Look for a farm near you. You can check out Local Harvest for CSA's, Farmers Markets, and more. Or ask around – a friend clued me into my CSA on facebook! You can find a farm that offers pick-your-own at http://www.pickyourown.org/.

No comments:

Post a Comment