Practical food tips for parents from a RD and mom of three

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Zucchini bread

When we were little my dad had a garden and must have grown zucchini. I remember mom making zucchini bread all the time. I especially loved when she would make CHOCOLATE zucchini bread, it was moist, sweet, and delicious!

 
Facebook is great for sharing recipes! A friend posted the status “making zucchini bread,” and I remembered mom's freshly baked treat. I asked my friend Deb for this recipe and she gladly shared. (That's how I came across the recipes for Veggie Pot Pie and Marbled-Chocolate Banana Bread, too) Here it is for you all to bake at home!


 
Zucchini Bread

 
1 ½ cups flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 eggs
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 ½ cups coarsely shredded zucchini
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Spray loaf pan with cooking spray.
  3. Mix dry ingredients (flour through salt) thoroughly
  4. In large mixing bowl, beat eggs until frothy. Add sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Beat until lemon-colored, about 3 minutes.
  5. Stir in zucchini.
  6. Add dry ingredients and mix until just moistened.
  7. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

 
Of course I tried out a couple of changes!
  • I used half whole wheat flour and half white – still yummy!
  • I tried a chocolate version by adding 1/3 cup of cocoa powder to the dry ingredients – delicious!

 
Today's tips: Share recipes with a friend! Oh, and zucchini is plentiful now, so make some delicious zucchini bread for your family.

2 comments:

  1. Just made chocolate banana swirl bread, which my kids like w/o the choc. Thought about trying the choc swirl method to zucchini bread which my kids don't like as much. Glad to know it isn't a weird combo, then again I suppose choc. goes with anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those who are moving towards a gluten-free diet, quick breads can easily be made GF by substituting an equal amount of GF flour (Bob's Red Mill makes a GREAT all-purpose flour) and adding 1 t of xanthum gum per loaf of bread. All my baked goods these days are GF... no need to suffer without tasty breads and cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete