1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup oil – I used canola
½ cup applesauce
1/3 cup maple syrup – use the real thing!
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 ½ cups of peeled, cored, and chopped apples (the recipe calls for Granny Smith, I had macs in the house and they worked well)
½ cup chopped pecans, optional – I didn't add these
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with baking cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Add the oil, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla and stir. Mix in the brown sugar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine. Stir in the apples. Add the nuts if desired.
- Pour batter into muffin cups, filling to the top.
- Make oat topping: mash 1 Tbsp softened butter with 1 Tbsp whole wheat (or GF) flour and 2 Tbsp brown sugar, plus a dash of salt and 1/3 tsp cinnamon. Stir in 2 Tbsp oatmeal. Top each muffin with this mixture, pressing it together lightly to form a crumble.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until muffins are set and lightly brown. Remove the muffins from the baking pan and cool on a wire rack. Makes 12 muffins.