Practical food tips for parents from a RD and mom of three

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Making everyone happy!

Ahhh, Saturday morning! Time to make a yummy breakfast! With help from Lila and Deacon, I made waffles with warm bananas (sauteed with cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little butter and brown sugar) and toasted walnuts. Deacon and I loved them!


However, Lila is the queen of plain food. She took one look at breakfast and said, “I only like plain waffles.” I planned for this by keeping some plain waffles, bananas, and walnuts aside for her.

This is a tactic I often use. While cooking a meal, I keep ingredients separate for her when possible. For example:
  • If we eat chili, she will have a plate of beans, corn, peppers, and whatever meat I cooked up.
  • When we have pasta and meatballs in tomato sauce she has plain pasta and meatballs (separately on the plate) without sauce.
Ned got cut up plain waffles and bananas. I was happy to make one meal for all of us.

I still give her a very small taste of our “real” meal – this morning she tried a bit of the bananas. Sometimes she will surprise herself and like our meal!

This way she gets food she will eat, but I'm still only preparing one meal for the family.

Today's tip: Try to satisfy picky eaters without preparing different meals for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment